At least 20 people found in a mass grave in kiev
The bodies of at least 20 people in civilian clothes were strewn on a street in Bucha, a city northwest of kyiv recaptured by Ukrainian forces after being held by Russian troops on Saturday.
One of the bodies had his hands tied behind his back, an AFP journalist said. The bodies were scattered over several hundred meters, without the cause of death being known so far.
Russian troops withdrew from several locations near kyiv, having failed in their attempt to encircle the capital. The Ukrainian authorities claimed that Bucha had been "released".
Of interest: UN raised the number of civilians killed in Ukraine to 1,325 during the Russian invasion
The fighting and shelling left an apocalyptic scene, with gaping holes in residential buildings and smashed cars in various parts of the city, AFP reporters reported.
Ukrainian officials said they still did not know who the victims were or how they died
This territory was not under Ukrainian control when they were killed, a kyiv regional official told AFP, requesting anonymity.
We just entered Bucha We still don't know what happened here he added.
They could be civilians killed in a bombing or they could have been killed by Russian soldiers. The security forces will find out," he added.
Sixteen of the 20 bodies were on or next to a street sidewalk. Three were in the middle of the road and one in the courtyard of a house.
A Ukrainian passport had fallen near the bound body.
Images Source