In his first day back in the office Monday, John Elway went to work. On his own contract.
The Broncos finalized a five-year deal with Elway to remain as the team's general manager, securing him through the 2021 season. Elway's current contract was set to expire in March. The negotiations took longer than expected as the sides ironed out wrinkles and experienced delays because of vacations.
In the end, it traced back to how this all started. Broncos CEO Joe Ellis insisted the team wanted Elway in the fold for years go come, recognizing his unique value to this franchise and community. And Elway said repeatedly that his desire was to remain with the Broncos.
Talks between the team and Elway have been ongoing for months. Terms of the contract are unknown, but Elway is expected to be among the highest paid general managers or tops. Seattle's John Schneider is believed to rank first on the list at roughly $4 million. As an executive, Elway has steered the Broncos to the playoffs in five of six seasons, with the team appearing in two Super Bowls and winning Super Bowl 50.
“This is a special place, and the Broncos are home to me. While there’s still a lot of work to be done, I’m excited about the future of this team and this organization,” Elway said in a statement.
Ellis announced the new contract Monday. He had indicated last week that the sides were making progress.
“We’re pleased to reach an agreement on a five-year contract with John to continue leading our football operations,” Ellis said. “During these last six seasons, John’s clearly established himself as one of the best general managers in all of sports. He’s demonstrated impressive football instincts, a strong business acumen and a consistent ability to build competitive teams.
“There’s no doubt John means a great deal to the Broncos, our fans and the entire community. It was important for us to reach this long-term agreement, and we’re all excited to now turn our full attention toward the 2017 season.”