Jose Mourinho sent a welcome message to Romelu Lukaku just days before the striker opted to join Manchester United ahead of Chelsea, according to reports.
United have agreed a £75 million fee with Everton for the Belgian striker, who is now expected to complete his medical and finalise personal terms while his new team-mates arrive in Los Angeles to begin pre-season training on Sunday.
Chelsea believed they were in the driving seat for the 24-year-old’s signature and were expecting to complete a deal for their former player this summer.
But The Sun on Sunday claims that Jose Mourinho was in touch with Lukaku last week via a text message in an attempt to convince the player to join Old Trafford.
The United manager reportedly told Lukaku that he wanted a ‘special’ relationship with him and said that he was looking forward to working with the striker again.
Lukaku briefly played under Mourinho at Chelsea before the Portuguese authorised the striker’s £28m sale to Everton in 2014.